Thursday, May 21, 2009

The tongue shall be cut off

Psalm 12:3
The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and
the tongue that speaketh proud things.

This verse reaffirms that God hates the deceitful tongue -- building someone up with your words whether it's to set them up for a fall, or to avoid telling them the truth about something -- both are wicked in God's eyes.

The Lord also does not approve of our boasting with our mouths. Once again, we see that my pride comes out in my speech. I must humble myself before God (which isn't to difficult if I can keep my mind constantly focused on how God sees me in my wickedness -- the problem comes when I stop thinking about how God sees me and start thinking about how others [or myself] sees me).

I'm going to finish today up with some quotes spoken in relation to this verse:

They who take pleasure in deceiving others, will at the last find themselves most of all deceived, when the Sun of truth, by the brightness of his rising, shall at once detect and consume hypocrisy. George Horne.

May there not be here an allusion to those terrible but suggestive punishments which Oriental monarchs were wont to execute on criminals? Lips were cut off and tongues torn out when offenders were convicted of lying or treason. So terrible and infinitely more so are the punishments of sin. C.H.S

Lying lips are abomination to the LORD:
but they that deal truly are his delight.
Proverbs 12:22

No comments: