Sunday, May 10, 2009

Honoring my Mother

Today I am departing slightly from my study on the tongue, and looking at how does the Scripture say to honor my mother. I have to say I was quite disheartened when I Google how do I honor my mother and the only sites that came up were in reference to people who felt like their mothers did not deserve honor, or advertisements for what presents to give your mother.

I must say, neither of these fit the biblical description of honoring my mother. As a child, I was taught from Scripture that I am to obey my mother and father. And as a mother, I can see that one can demand obedience from children. However, as an adult I am no longer called to obey my mother's authority. Instead I am to offer her honor. My mom does not demand honor. Honor is a gift I am to freely give her.

But what exactly does it mean to honor. The dictionary describes honor in two ways. The first definition of honor reflects a position that one has earned. Looking at Proverbs 31, we see a woman of honor. This virtuous wife is one who remained loyal to her husband. She diligently cared and provided for her family. This virtuous woman has earned the honor and respect of her husband and family.

The second definition of honor is that of bestowing respect towards another. This respect is the gift I can give my mother. A mother cannot demand respect it is something that a child must freely offer.

Proverbs 31:28-31
Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband
also, and he praises her: Many daughters have done well
but you excel them all. Charm is deceitful and beauty is
passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be
praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own
works praise her in the gates.

By praising my mother and thanking her for all she did for me as I grew up is only one of the many ways I can honor my mother. My mother helped to mold me into the person I am today, and now I desire and strive to mold my own children into young adults who will honor and fear God. My mother has given me a legacy of love and service to God that I desire to hand down to my own children as I pray and watch them come to know the Lord as their Saviour.

I rejoice in the salvation of my oldest, but I realize that my task of mothering does not end at her salvation. In fact, the training will get harder as Satan will seek to turn her away from Christ, and my husband and I teach her to follow the Spirit's prompting and to deny her own fleshly desires. To do this, like my own mother, I must seek to deny my own flesh so that I set a godly example for my children. Honor is not only a gift that is given, but it is a precious status that is earned by the day to day diligence of walking with God.

in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but which is proper for women professing godliness with good works.
I Timothy 2:9-10





THANK YOU MOM FOR BEING A WONDERFUL MOTHER AND GODLY EXAMPLE. I ALSO WANT TO THANK MY M
OTHER-IN-LAW FOR BEING A GODLY EXAMPLE AND ENCOURAGEMENT TO ME. I LOVE YOU BOTH.

No comments: