Friday, May 15, 2009

Caught by the tongue

Job 41:1
Can you draw out Leviathan with a hook, Or snare his
tongue with a line which you lower?

OK, what can this verse possibly have to do with my speech? This verse is discussing the futility of trying to capture Leviathan. Verse nine states "Indeed, any hope of overcoming him is false;" This passage actually begins back in chapter 40 when the Lord answers Job "Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? He who rebukes God, let him answer it." And the passage concludes in chapter 42 when Job confesses "Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand."

Now that we have established the context of the verse, lets look at the phrase itself "or snare his tongue with a line which you lower?" Regardless of who or what leviathan is (some claim a whale, others a crocodile), the point is they were attempting to catch it with the tongue.

Although not directly related to this verse, I need to take care of my tongue and what I speak. I need to beware what I say so that my own words do not become an entrapment for me. Others will pick up on what I speak, and they will use it against me if my tongue is not properly guarded. Just the other day, my husband had gone out on visitation, and the gentleman he was talking with knew exactly how many times we had taken our kids out that day. What would have happened to my testimony had I been yelling and screaming at my children when we were out on a walk. My testimony, and that of my husbands could have been destroyed in a moment of unleashing.

There is never a time we should not guard our tongues. Too often we loose our tongues with our own family while guarding them in front of others. This is not right. Loosing our tongues in front of our families can potentially destroy our marriage and injure our children.

Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things.
Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
James 3:5

1 comment:

juliechall said...

Hey Tracy - I missed the last post - but wanted to let you know we will be praying for you guys. Please keep us posted. I love the sweet pictures and am so thankful for God's sovereignty!