Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Matter of Respect

Job 29:9-10
The princes refrained from talking, and put their hand
on their mouth; The voice of nobles was hushed, and
their tongue stuck to the roof of their mouth.

At one time, Job was a respectable man of prominence in his community. Yet, as Satan bombarded him, the people turned from respecting Job to persecuting him with their malicious gossip and accusations. These verses fall in the midst of Job's reflection and longing for his former life when people regarded him with respect. When instead of whispering behind their hands, the people stood silent in admiration of him.

Respect is a powerful word. Respect is what our husbands respond to, and it is what causes us to feel honored and special. Respect isn't something my husband needs to earn from me -- it is something I need to give my husband. Pointing out my husband's flaws does not encourage him into being the godly man God wants him to be, but when I honor my husband and shower him with respect his confidence is obviously lifted and I am married to a different person than the one I criticize.

My husband is not the only one I am to respect. I am to have respect for God's Word. I occasionally face days where I want to question everything God sets before me, but this is not a respectful attitude. Sometimes I just need to go into God's presence and sit silently at His feet and listen to what He has for me. I challenge you today, as I challenge myself. When you go into your prayer closet today, don't just begin your list of requests and demands as though God is your servant. Take time to sit at the Master's feet as Mary did and sit quietly in prayer simply communing with your precious Savior.

And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet,
and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much
serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care
that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that
she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha,
Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part,
which shall not be taken away from her.
Luke 10:39-42

No comments: