Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The mouth of deceit

Psalm 10:7
His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud;
under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

There are some people we know not to trust. A person's reputation is well known -- especially in a small town such as ours. We must take care when encountering those whom we know will twist our words and use them against us.

However, we must not only take care to guard our words with those whom we know we can't trust. It is vitally important to my Christian testimony that I when I speak with people I guard my motives. I can easily fall into the trap of thinking primarily about myself that my words with others can become deceitful as I seek to advance myself rather than others.

As a child of God, I must make sure my language honors God. Now, those of you who know me personally know that I don't go around swearing and cursing. However, what constitutes cursing? Our culture defines cursing as a profane or obscene expression, usually of anger. However, I want to take this a bit further than our typical list of swear words. I know many Christians who swear -- they simply replace the obscene with an alternative such as shoot, junk, man, etc. . . When I was in college, I used to say shoot all the time -- until someone thought I said the alternative. Then I changed my verbiage to junk. Shortly after that I realized I have control of these words, and they are simply idle words spoken in frustration and anger. They do not honor God, therefore I should not speak them in that context.

I challenge you, as I continue to challenge myself -- guard your mouth from idle words. Even if the words you speak in and of themselves are not obscene, someone may overhear the feeling and anger behind them and assume your are swearing. It does not take much to destroy a testimony -- don't let your words kill yours.

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak,
they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Matthew 12:36

No comments: