Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Psalm 5:9
For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part
is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter
with their tongue.

Unless you know the context of this verse, it is rather difficult to interpret. In verse eight, the writer is asking God to lead and direct him. He needs this guidance from God because his enemies are waiting to misdirect him, so the only way his path can be sure is if God leads him. Verse nine then continues talking about his enemies.

However, these enemies are not the typical enemy you can identify because they are blatant in their destructive tendencies. The enemies in this verse is referring to those enemies who come across as being a friend. The most difficult enemy to identify is the one who is right beside you presenting himself as your friend.

These friends are double tongued. They speak one way in front of you, but then they speak differently when you are not around. When you speak with them, you only hear kindness, but their motives and their conversation with others indicates destruction for you.

I don't know about you, but this verse reminds me of junior high girls. I think junior high was the worst time of my life. In junior high, girls are always trying to get in with the crowd, so if it means betraying the confidence of a good friend - so be it. This behavior is not right, but it aptly describes this verse. One whom you think to be a loyal friend becomes a traitor and sells your secrets to the highest bidder.

Let me put this another way. Today I was washing and cutting some strawberries. When I bought the strawberries yesterday they looked fantastic. By the time I got them home they were starting to mold (because I kept them in the hot car too long). So, today I began to sort my failing strawberries and slice them trying to salvage as much as I can. I was very excited when I found a nice red strawberry with no signs of distress. It look sweet, it smelled wonderful, and then I cut the top off and sliced it in half. I was so disappointed to find the center of the strawberry had rotted. This strawberry as wonderful as it looked on the outside was like the enemy of my tastebuds.

Now, how does this apply to my speech. I must be so careful to guard that I do not become an enemy to my friends. It can be so easy when talking with others to let something slip about someone else. Now I may not mean destruction to that person, but by allowing their struggle or weakness to slip I cause pain. When another person entrusts me with personal knowledge of what is going on in their life, I need to cherish their trust and confidence and be a true friend to them.

However, I do want to clarify that there are some situations where I am obligated to speak. If I am given confidence of a child being physically or sexually abused, I cannot remain silent. Also, if a friend confides/brags about their sin and refuses to repent, and continues to dwell in their sin after confrontation, than I need to go to my pastor/church leadership so that they can seek out my friend and help them. Their are other situations, but I believe you get the general idea.

Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of
an enemy are deceitful.
Proverbs 27:6

Again, I want to thank you for praying for our family this weekend. I did take the last few days off of posting because I didn't have much time on the computer.

No comments: