Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Words that can Kill

Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man?
the goodness of God endureth continually. Thy tongue
deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to
speak righteousness. Selah. Thou lovest all devouring words,
O thou deceitful tongue. God shall likewise destroy thee for ever,
he shall take thee away, and pluck thee out of thy dwelling place,
and root thee out of the land of the living. Selah.
Psalms 52:1-5

David saw it necessary to quit Saul's court for his own safety, for fear of Saul, who had once and again attempted to murder him. Without provisions, he deceived Ahimelech the priest into furnishing him with weapons and food. Doeg an Edomite went and told Saul that Ahimelech was knowingly helping David and convinced Saul that Ahimelech was a traitor. Upon which accusation Saul issued a very bloody warrant, to kill all the priests; and Doeg, the prosecutor, was the executioner. (Matthew Henry)

Woe to the person who delights in seeing others pained and harmed. The Edomite Doeg was just such a man. For some reason he was against Ahimelech, and decided to use David's deceit as an opportunity to get rid of the priests in this area. Doeg used his tongue to devise evil against a man of God. And, as David proclaims, God will destroy him.

Like Doeg, we have an option. I can use my tongue for good, or for evil. The tongue does not need to speak many words to destroy a person. In today's day, accusations are continuously made about pastors, and others who work with children (I'm not saying that some of those accusations are not factual -- while some are valid, many others are not). I have known women who sought to physically entrap a pastor, and when unsuccessful they declare a false accusation in order to destroy him. As a woman and a child of God I must guard my tongue and take heed that my speech is used only to edify.

Let me make this passage even more personal. Let's look at a marriage. I have a wonderful husband who loves to shower me with affection, and helps, and gifts, and just about all of the love languages that a woman can ask for. Yet, when he does or says something I don't like, my words can turn my strong and loving husband into a wounded puppy. In truth, I don't want a wounded man as my husband, so I must guard my words to that they uplift and encourage my husband rather than destroy his spirit. Guarding my tongue is a daily and minute by minute challenge.

Ephesians 5:33
Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife
even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

No comments: