Thursday, June 11, 2009

Psalm 57:4
My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that
are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are
spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.

Have you ever felt as though you have been thrown into the lions den like Daniel. There have been a few times in my life that I felt like I was surrounded by hungry lions who were out for blood. The Psalmist here is fleeing from Saul, and he sees the passion with which Saul is pursuing him. Saul's passion is all consuming, it has been set on fire. And their mouths speak slander about David. The use their words to fuel a hatred for him.

What about me? Do I use my passions and my words to destroy others? A perfect example of this is the recent death of Abortionist George Tiller. The man who shot Tiller had a consuming passion against Tiller so much that it brought him to the point of murder. Let me be clear -- I do not agree with what Tiller did. I believe he was a murderer of children. However, according to the laws of our country he deserved a fair trial -- not to be murdered in cold blood. Murder is always wrong!

Passion is a good thing when we are passionate about the right thing -- God! But if I allow a passion for worldly things to consume me, then it will consume my spirit and push God away. My passion for God should drive me to serve and to minister and to speak words of love and kindness and not words of hate.

Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this
present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the
glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all
iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people,
zealous of good works.
Titus 2:12-14

No comments: