Thursday, June 18, 2009

Contradictory Master's

Matthew 6:24
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one,
and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise
the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Do you recall as a child asking one parent a question and they said no? What did you do next? Typically, the child will turn around and ask the other parent the same question to see if they will give permission. I know I can remember doing this. And in essence I was serving two masters. I was asking both my parents the same question, and then obeying the one who gave me the answer I wanted.

Here Christ warns us against such behavior. Every person has the opportunity to serve one of two masters -- God or Satan. If we attempt to divide our loyalty between the two, then we will seek to serve Satan only because Satan will always appeal to our fleshly desires. This will then turn our affections away from God until we despise Him for the heavy restrictions we perceive have been placed upon us.

However, if we serve God and God alone, then we will come to despise Satan and sin. We will then realize that God has not placed heavy restrictions upon us, but that it is indeed Satan who makes us a slave to our flesh. Only in serving God can I find true freedom as I learn that I do not have to give into my fleshly wants. Sin destroys the soul, but service to God and God alone can give me peace and joy.

God and God alone created all these things we call our own
From the mighty to the small the Glory in them all is God's and God's alone

God and God alone is fit to take the universe's throne
Let everything that lives reserve it's truest praise for God and God alone

God and God alone reveals the truth of all we call unknown
and the best and worst of man wont change the Master's plan it's God's and God's alone

God and God alone will be the joy of our eternal home
He will be our one desire Our hearts will never tire of God's and God's alone

No comments: