Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What does it mean to serve?

Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan:
for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God,
and him only shalt thou serve.

At the end of Christ's time of fasting in the desert, we see Satan comes to him and proceeds to tempt Christ. Here Satan has offered Christ power over all kingdoms if He would bow down and worship Satan. Christ replies that only God is to be worshiped -- not Satan.

Satan, the prince and power of the air, seeks to deceive people into believing that he can offer them anything they desire. And to an extent he does -- at the price of their life and soul. The price to worship and serve Satan is far to great. To spend an eternity in the Lake of Fire is not worth the short time we can enjoy sin. And even if you look at the pleasure sin gives now, even in this life it can destroy your life.

Far better it is to serve God and God alone. Service to God brings joy and peace. Service to God brings blessing -- not the physical blessing of riches, but the blessing of knowing that God will not forsake me and that I will never want for food or other necessities in life. God will provide and take care of me. I can also have the confidence of knowing that where God does not provide, He has a greater plan for my life than I can imagine. I will choose to serve God not Satan. My prayer for you is that you will choose the same.

No comments: