Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cumbered about with Serving

Lu 10:40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

Most of you are familiar with the Martha complex. One who is so busy serving and trying to make sure everything is in order that one forgets to sit and visit or listen and learn.

I am very much like Martha. When I have something that needs to be done, I focus on that one thing and make sure it gets done. I forget about the people around me, and fail to sit back and listen to them. It constantly amazes me how some days I can go through the day cooking, cleaning, and everything else that needs to be done and yet I can neglect those things that are most important.

I need to make a point to spend time with my God each and every day. To sit at my Master's feet and hear what he has for me to learn. One of the Awesome things about God's Word is that I can read a passage I have read hundreds of times before, and still discover something new, or a new way to apply it to my life. God Word is alive and powerful, and it is working in me.
On days where I get caught up in those things that need to be done, I have to make a point to get down or get out and play with my kids on days that are consumed with what needs to be done. Saturday was one of those days. I was tired and worn out. I took the kids outside to the backyard, put Ezekiel in his swing, and went over to my garden and began weeding. No sooner did I start to pull weeds that the sky began to weep. I continued to pull weeds until Ezekiel began to fuss about getting wet. As I was preparing to pack all the kids up and go inside, I realized Ezekiel wasn't fussing about being wet, he just wanted someone to hold him and play with him. The kids were having a blast playing in the rain, and I was already wet. So, instead of going inside, we walked over to the church and invited Daddy to take a break from his studying to come out and play with us in the rain. We had a wonderful time together. I'm sure all the cars that drove past us thought we were crazy -- me carrying a baby, and three kids running around in the rain with their daddy chasing them. When we came home, we did it just in time because about a minute after we cleared the door, the sky's opened up and pelted the ground with water.

Question for you: How did you take time to get down and play with your kids today?

1 comment:

juliechall said...

I loved this post Tracy - what fun to play in the rain together. As far as the Martha thing - I totally relate - I'm always thinking about my list of "to-do's" in my head and have a hard time just enjoying life. I'm sure I will have a lot more to learn with a child also.