Thursday, June 18, 2009

Failure to Thrive


Please continue to be praying for Ezekiel. I do thank all of you who were praying for us last month as we went to the pediatrician. The doctor diagnosed Ezekiel with a mild form of cerebral palsy. Right now all that we need to do in regards to the CP is a monthly therapy session to help set goals and show us new things to work on and then our working with him on a daily basis.

In addition to the CP, Ezekiel is struggling with a few other minor health problems. He is fighting a staph infection in his urinary track, as well as something that is causing blood in his urine. He is also far below weight and has been labled with Failure to Thrive.

For the next month, we are going to be working with teaching Ezekiel how to sit up, how to crawl, and hopefully a little of how to cruise around the furniture.

Today at Ezekiel's therapy session I discovered that the doctor we saw last month labeled Ezekiel as Failure to Thrive. Those of you who spend any time with us at all would understand why this shocked me. Ezekiel eats and eats and eats, but for all that he eats, he is no longer on the charts for his growth.

As I was considering this on my way home with Ezekiel, I started thinking about my Christian Life. Looking back through the years, I can see times where I struggled with a failure to thrive. Not because the food was not available, but because I did not partake of the wonderful spread God laid out before me. There are many times over the course of my life where I can see how I starved myself spiritually. Oh, I still attended church, read spiritual books, and talked like a good Christian ought to, but spiritually I was dying because I was not sustaining myself with God's Word and Prayer. No matter how much I read, unless I make the Word of God personal in my life and take time to have a relationship with God, I will fail to thrive. My whole being must be grounded in God's Word or I will lose my footing.

No comments: