Thursday, June 04, 2009

A Seething Fire

Psalm 39:1-3
I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my
tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the
wicked is before me. I was dumb with silence, I held my
peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred. My
heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned:
then spake I with my tongue,


Have you ever had your thoughts so consumed that the more you tried to be silent about them, the hotter they became, and the greater your desire to lash out? Oh, I can so relate to these verses right now. This morning I was told something, that since I heard it has been consuming my thoughts and tempting me to think some very un-Christlike thoughts. The more I try to force my attention away from the thoughts, the more they consume me. They are so that I want to call someone and complain about it.

And then I set down to do my Bible reading. Oh, the Lord knows the needs of my soul. I was refreshed and convicted as I realize I had permitted my flesh to take hold of my thoughts and seethe. But oh how refreshing to be reminded that "And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee." (v.7) My hope is in God, not in my physical situation or discomfort. The struggle I perceived as too great to handle is not so. The struggle is an opportunity for God to strengthen me and reveal Himself to me. Regardless of the result, my God is in control. He has my steps ordered and He will work all things out for His own glory.

Instead of seething about this situation, I can freely give it up to God and trust Him for the outcome. Thank you Lord for your wonderful peace. You and you alone have calmed my heart and quenched the fire of my thoughts.


No comments: