Friday, June 12, 2009

Purposeful Slander

Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the
workers of iniquity: Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows
to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: That they may shoot in secret at the
perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not. They encourage
themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they
say, Who shall see them?
Psalms 64:2-5

Just like a warrior is purposeful in sharpening his sword, or preparing his bow for battle, the malicious person is purposeful in planning slander so that it will hit and destroy with great accuracy.

While there is very little I can do stop and prevent others from slandering me or my husband (other than live a blameless life), I can take great care to ensure that I am not slandering others. Once again, the tongue is very powerful, and can destroy a person much more quickly and painfully than any gun or knife. I must be careful that my words only edify and encourage rather than destroy and maim.

Psalm 64:8
So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon
themselves: all that see
them shall flee away.

No comments: