Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Quick to Learn

James 1:19-20
"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God."

I have a problem. I like to talk, and I enjoy sharing what I learn with other people.  However, the Bible is very clear that it is better for a person to be quiet than to share all that he knows.  Verse 19  reminds me that I need to be an eager learner -- learning from a variety of sources and circumstances.  While I am to be learning, I must also be careful of whom my teachers are.  Everything I learn must be compared with the Bible to make sure that I am learning truth and not lies.  Then, I must also be slow to speak.  Just because I know something does not mean I need to share it with everybody I meet.  For example,

when we lived in Wisconsin I was going to a chiropractor for my headaches.  After about three sessions I quit going -- why?  because every time I went the chiropractor spent the entire time telling me why vaccinations were so horrible for my children.  Now, I tend to think of myself as a somewhat intelligent person, capable of making informed decisions.  With my children I have researched everything from what type of diaper pail to use to which vaccinations are considered questionable, and I did not appreciate having this doctor's opinion forced on me at every turn. 

I must be careful that I am not like that chiropractor sharing information just because I know it.  There are times when I may need to share what God's Word says in order to help another believer, but I must be wise with the timing and make sure that what I am saying is what God says and not just my own opinion.

No comments: