Saturday, November 13, 2010

13 Days Tilll Thanksgiving and a list included for tomorrow.

Wow, it's hard for me to believe that we are only two weeks away from Thanksgiving.  I am so far behind on everything I had planned to get accomplished before Thanksgiving.  However, I am thankful that most of what I "planned" to get done is simply part of "my agenda" and not necessarily what NEEDS to be accomplished.  I will be including a longer list today so I can take a good break from the computer tomorrow.

Today there is so much to be thankful for.  Last night the weather forecast included snow.  Today we woke up to a comfortable fall day.

I am thankful for the privilege to be able to have my own Bible, and to be able to provide each of my children with their own Bible/Bible Story Books.  This week I have enjoyed making my personal time with God the first thing to start the day (usually while J.A. fixes breakfast).  Since the kids are usually trying to talk with me during my reading, I have had each of them get a Bible or Bible story book to read.  This has freed me up to be able to dig a little deeper in my reading and not just a quick surface study.  As a result, my week has gone so much smoother than it normally does.

I am also thankful that I don't have to fix supper for my family tonight :)  With what may be our last football game in town today, we are going to go and enjoy the tailgate party -- free dinner and a football game -- Andy will be floating on top of the world!!

I am thankful that my computer charger is still working.  One of the kids knocked the cord out of my computer this morning.  The pin got bent and broke off.  I thought all was lost and I'd have to order a new charger.  JA the smart and intelligent man that he is said I should plug it in to my computer anyways and see if it would still provide power.  Hurray it does!!!  Of course, it may be a good thing to spend several days away from my computer :)

I am thankful for the opportunity to school my children at home.  While we don't yet know how long we will continue to homeschool (we are taking it year by year based on our schedules and the kids needs), it has been a joy to be able to have a flexible schedule and to be able to identify characteristics in my kids that I may not have realized had I not been working with them.

I am also thankful for how God so specifically works in our lives.  Wednesday, Kara stole a piece of candy from her brother.  JA and I talked with her about it, and then I took the kids to Kids4Truth.  The lesson of the evening was on STEALING!  Isn't it great how God uses others to help reinforce the training we are giving our young children.

 I am also thankful for where God has placed us.  We are living in a small rural community with very few places to take the kids for activities (other than shopping and the library).  This has helped me to not be so focused on getting out of the house but to enjoy the simple things that our community has to offer -- such as taking the kids to the health fair, going to football games, and enjoying those community events as they come up and making them a priority rather than just an optional activity.

I am thankful for wonderful parents whom I can call and ask to pray for me when I know I am going to have a rough day.

I am thankful for the wonderful invention of computers.  I am a horrible letter writer, I hate talking on the phone, and I'm not very good at communicating.  But, with J.A.'s mom in Africa I want my kids to know their grandmother.  Thanks to Skype the kids are able to visit with and see their grandmother regularly.  And while I know she doesn't like it when the sound goes out on her end, it's probably a blessing since all four kids are usually clambering and talking at once.  I'm looking forward to being able to show off our newest addition to her when he chooses to make his grand entrance.

I could go on and on, but Kara is beginning her violin practice now so I need to be more attentive to her.

No comments: