Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Master of Deceit

OK, I admit it. Over the course of this summer I have become a master at deceiving my children. However, before you cast judgment upon me, please hear me out.

!. Lydia despises vegetables. I mean she refuses to eat them (unless it's corn). She will scream and holler like a banshee as we shove the spoon in her mouth to make her eat them, and then she will hold the food in her mouth for hours on end (I mean literally, she has gotten down from the table and two - three hours later we will notice she has something in her mouth and when we look there is a cucumber) without chewing.

2. My garden has produced an unending supply of squash. I didn't even plant the crazy things, and yet on any given day I can go out and pick three - four huge squash. My garden has also blessed us with plenty of cucumbers and a few tomatoes.

Combine the two and you have an abundance of veggies and only two people who will eat them (and by the way, at the beginning of this summer I did not like squash).



+ =

Because of this fact, I have been forced to become a master at sneaking veggies into our menu without my children noticing it. This has been great, and if you have a child who does not like to eat his/her veggies, I hope you enjoy these.

1. Mashed Potatoes -- how about doing mashed cauliflower and mashing a couple of cooked squash in with them.

2. Macaroni & Cheese -- Make as prescribed and add a can of peas and a can of tuna (even my tuna hating husband will eat this meal).

3. Like egg casseroles? -- in your food processor, dice up some squash (like hash browns) and cover the bottom of a 10 x 13 pan whisk the eggs and milk pour of the squash and cover with grated cheese -- they didn't even realize it was squash!!!

4. Creamed Cucumber -- slice your cucumbers and let them bask in this creamy dressing (1 cup mayo, 2 tbsp vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar)-- it sweetens them so they actually ate it.

5. Hide it in the casserole -- slice squash and line the bottom of a pan Add frozen peas, carrots, or whatever veggies you have on hand. Add a can of corn (or frozen). Mix up some cream of chicken soup with some sour cream (use any kind you want, but I like it with cream of chicken or mushroom the best) and add to veggies. throw in the oven and cook. While cooking, whip up some cornbread. Pull veggies out of the oven and spread the cornbread mixture on top. Return to oven and cook for the length of time prescribed for the cornbread. Makes a yummy veggie casserole.

6. Won't eat a veggie casserole, throw their portion into a blender, add a little bit of milk or water to make it a bit creamier, and blend). Pour into a bowl, add crackers and top with a bit of cheese. They think you made them a completely knew dinner.

I hope you try some of these recipes on your picky toddlers. Let me know if you do and how successful they are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you're making me thankful I don't have a picky toddler! Love that egg casserole idea. I will definitely use that one. Way to be a good mom and get some veggies into your family!

Carrie said...

Great ideas--I will definitely have to try some of them in the future! My kids aren't too picky . . . well, Sam used to be but he is getting a lot better . . . but none of us eat enough veggies and I need to work on incorporating them more into our daily lives. Thanks for the ideas! :)