Monday, August 10, 2009

Works of God Monday

I am so thankful for how God has worked in our lives over the past two weeks. Two weeks ago, I was discouraged and overwhelmed. Last week I was excited to participate and enjoy Vacation Bible School, and this week I have the opportunity to reap the harvest from our garden.

I praise God for the bountiful harvest he has given to us. I have an abundance of peppers and tomatoes on my plants. Hundreds of flowers blooming on my beans, and today was able to harvest and freeze most of my corn from my garden in only three hours.

At 9:30, I tackled the garden with two crates and my clippers. I trekked through the corn and pulled all the corn that was ready to be picked and cut down all the stalks that were not bearing ears (or no longer had ears because I took them all). I also cut down any stalks that were showing ear fungus (so that it wouldn't spread to the remaining corn).
We then came inside and put Ezekiel in the jumper while Kara, Lydia and I husked the corn washed and blanched it. When JA and Andy came home, JA cut the corn off the cob while I bagged it for the freezer. I praise the Lord for 20 bags of corn (2 cups each bag).
Also, last night I was able to cook and can nine jars of salsa. Two weeks ago I canned three jars of banana peppers.

However, the greatest harvest I observed this past week was not in the harvest of my garden. As a result of Vacation Bible School we had the opportunity to see two first graders come to know Christ as their Savior. No bounty from my harvest even begins to compare with that of reaping souls for eternity. The Lord blessed our ministry of Vacation Bible School, and while we did not have great numbers, we had a very profitable week of reaching out and getting to know the kids that attended.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

PRAISE THE LORD! How exciting to watch Him work in hearts and bring those children to faith! How exciting that you were able to be a part of that!

Great garden results, too. Praise God for His provision!

Mary Ann said...

How exciting! I think that was the trend this year with VBS - small attendance numbers, but still a mighty impact in the lives of the kids. Thanks for sharing!
I got to help my brother & sister-in-law with their garden this weekend - I've got the bug! I want my own garden next year :-)