Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A Perfect Marriage

I love coffee! I love Brownies! Last week while I was flipping through some old Taste of Home Magazines I discovered a recipe for Coffee 'n' Cream Brownies. Since we are having a reception Friday night at our church after the Proclaimers present their drama, I thought this would be a wonderful recipe to make. However, I wanted to do a trial run on them. So, yesterday I hit the kitchen to make these delicious sounding brownies.


Well, I began by making the brownies (from scratch). Somehow my magazine page flipped and I made the wrong brownie recipe (for Hazelnut Brownies) which was double the size of the recipe I intended to make. No problem. I discovered my mistake and decided to adjust the recipe using the brownie mix I just made up. This turned out to be the best mistake I had made in awhile. These brownies are definitely rich, so next time I make them for our family I will probably halve the recipe or find someone else to give the extra brownies to. This week, I just kept six of the brownies and we took the rest of the brownies to the Co-op b/c the men there have been working 60 - 80 hour weeks b/c of harvest so we thought they may enjoy a sweet pick me up.

Here is the recipe:
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour (I used bread flower b/c that's all I had other than wheat).
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture and mix well. Spread into a greased 13 in. x 9 in. x 2 in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

FILLING:
2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar

For filling, combine cream and coffee granules in a small bowl; stir until coffee is dissolved. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar. Add coffee mixture; beat until creamy. Spread over cooled brownies.

GLAZE:
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2/3 cups heavy whipping cream

In a small saucepan, combine chips and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is thickened. Cool slightly. Carefully spread over filling. Let stand for 30 minutes or until glaze is set. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.

I actually put it in the refrigerator overnight (this helped the brownies hold their shape when I cut them) before cutting it into squares. Then I used my pizza cutter so I could get a clean straight cut. To add to the attraction of the brownies on Friday I plan to place a coffee bean on top of each brownie.

Hope you try these delicious brownies.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds super yummy! I'll have to try that recipe sometime!

Just make sure you tell the Proclaimers that they don't HAVE to eat! :-) I remember those days on the road...lots of eating, lots of sitting, lots of shopping for larger clothes...

:-)

Unknown said...

These sound positively decadent! Not sure if I should be allowed to make these since I'm pregnant and would be tempted to eat half a pan in one sitting.

Tfipps said...

I would make those right now if I only had some whipping cream in the house. Oh yeah...and if I didn't have this baby fat to lose!!:(

Jenny said...

How did the "real run" go with the brownies? How did the Proclaimers' service go?

Tracy said...

The real run went OK -- I messed up on the choc. topping by accidently using baking chocolate instead of choc. chips. Thankfully I tasted the choc. before putting it on the brownies.

The Proclaimers' service was incredible. The message of the program was a great rebuke to me about not being as bold a witness as I should be. We had about 60 people in attendence (for a church of 23 people we were very excited). And we didn't force them to eat.