Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Lord Grant me Boldness of Speech

Exodus 4:10 Then Moses said to the Lord, "O my Lord, I am not
eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to
Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue."

How typical is it for me to offer up excuses. "Lord, I was too busy chasing my kids to notice the lady across the room." "Lord, I can't leave and go talk to her -- my kids will get wild if I'm not standing RIGHT here." If I don't want to do something, believe me I can come up with a pretty acceptable EXCUSE.

In today's verse, Moses was the same way. Whether he was speaking out of fear of returning to Egypt, or the desire to not upset his current living situation, Moses chose to use his speaking abilities as an excuse to not appear before Pharaoh. Now keep in mind, Moses had a better education than any of the other Israelites (he was raised in Pharaoh's own home). His education most likely included the ability to orate.

Moses' reason for offering the excuse could have been a feeling of inadequacy to perform the task which God was asking of him. I mean here was one person asked to go speak before the ruler of Egypt -- one who thought himself to be a god. I would certainly feel inadequate to complete that task.

Understanding this verse, I must now look at myself. I so often find myself speaking this same thing to God -- not so much in words as in my lack of action. On a weekly basis I come into contact with unbelievers. Yet, can I recall the last time I boldly confronted them with the Gospel? I love the next verse --

So the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Or who makes
the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind? Have not I, the
Lord? Now therefore, go, and I will be with your mouth and teach
you what you shall say."

God has given me a task to do. Yes, I am to care for my husband and my children, but he has also entrusted me with the precious gospel. This precious message needs to be given out to others. If you won the lottery, would you not be shouting it out to everyone around you so they could celebrate with you? With that same joy and excitement I need to share the good news of Christ with everyone I come in contact with.

It would be very easy for me to respond as Moses and beg the Lord to send someone else, but in doing that what purpose would I then have. Nor do I want the Lord's anger to be kindled against me as it did against Moses.

Now, how do I apply this to my tongue. Tomorrow morning I am attending a community meeting. Typically I attend these meetings and quietly sit by and listen and observe. Please pray for me and with me that tomorrow I will have boldness to approach someone sitting near me with the gospel. While I may not know the words to speak, God does, and He and He alone must guide my speech.

Praise the Lord! Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever. Who can utter the
mighty acts of the Lord? Who can declare all His praise?
Psalm 106:1-2


1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm praying for you Tracy! Let us know if God brings an opportunity to you!