Monday, June 16, 2008

Showers of Berries









We love fruit! For years JA and I have talked and dreamed about planting raspberries, and blueberries in our yard. This year we finally have a yard to call our own, so we planted two blueberry bushes and a peach tree. Of course we have to wait a couple of years before we can enjoy the fruit from these plants.

However, we had another berry special blessing this weekend. We discovered that a small tree just outside our fence is covered in these little berries that look like blackberries. This morning we took a branch to the extension office and discovered that we have our very own Mulberry Tree.

I am thrilled at how the Lord has provided us with some wonderful fresh fruit while we wait for what we planted to thrive. The discovery of the mulberries reminds me a lot of our spiritual walk. We often focus on the fruit we are planting (those friends and loved ones that we are earnestly striving to witness to), and sometimes we fail to look around us to see what fruit the Lord is producing around us.
I pray that I won't be so sidetracked with sowing the seed that I fail to notice the ones who are growing in need of loving pruning and tender care. We truly need to be balanced in our Christian Walk. God has called us to share the gospel and make disciples. That doesn't mean getting people saved and leaving them to fend for themselves. We need to take care of them so they don't get choked out and enveloped by the world around them.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks for that, Tracy! I sometimes get caught up the other way - working on what is already there - and I forget to sow new seeds! Thanks for linking your testimony today, it's just what I needed.