Thursday, July 27, 2006

El-el'ohe-Israel

Genesis 33:20 states "And he erected there an altar, and called it El-el'ohe-Israel." This name means God is the God of Israel. This is the first time in his life that Jacob referes to God as being his God. In Genses 28:20-21, "And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, so that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the Lord be my God."

Jacob was unwilling to have a personal relationship with God unless God brought him back safely to his home (never mind the fact that God had already given Jacob the promise of being the stronger nation).

When I read this in my devotions today, I was greatly convicted. Have I tried to put conditions on my relationship with God, or can I say El-el'ohe-Tracy? Thankfully, I believe I can say I haven't placed conditions/demands, yet I know it would be so easy for me at any time to begin to doubt God's promises.

I am so thankful that God's Word is Truth, and that God is the Father of Truth. Because of this I can rebuke my doubts with the promises God has given to me in his Word. My favorite promise of late has been "I will never leave thee nor forsake thee." Despite our circumstances and the unknowns that we face, I can trust God to always provide for us and our family.

I am also thankful for the wonderful husband God has given me in J.A. I know that when I get discouraged, JA will return my focus to what is true and what God has promised us. Oh how blessed I feel to know my God and the hope He gives me for each day.

Book I strongly Recommend: Created to be His Helpmeet. by Debbi Pearl. Terri Janke gave this book to me while we were visiting them, and I just finished reading it. I can honestly say it has totally changed my perspective of what my marriage is suppose to be like (not to mention how I am to disciple my children).

No comments: