Monday, May 08, 2006

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Pour the flakes into a bowl, add two cups of water and microwave for three minutes. A simple recipe, and satisfactory potatoes. I love instant meals, not because they taste great (nothing tastes as good as homemade meals), and not just because morning sickness drives me out of the kitchen. I love conveniences - anything quick and simple.

However, as I was fixing these Instant potatoes for dinner tonight, I realized how often I expect God to fall into the category of convenience. I'll do my devotions when it's convenient. I'll witness to others when it's convenient. I'll pray when it's convenient. Oh, I am so thankful that God does not give instant answers to prayers, and I'm even more thankful that He does not always give an affirmative answer to my prayers. Still, I often approach God, my Creator, my Lord, my Father as I approach my cooking -- quick and easy.

Still thinking about cooking, I know how sweet a meal tastes and smells when I take the time to cook the roast, stew the vegetables, and cook the potatoes. Such are the makings of a fine meal. How I need to approach my Lord with such time and devotion. I enjoy my time that I spend with the Lord, but oh I wonder and long to experience the sweetness of a relationship with God not based on convenience. A relationship where I savor the promises of God. Oh Taste and See that the Lord is Good.

Before I strive to spend more time in the kitchen cooking healthier meals for my family, I pray that I will strive to spend more time with my Lord and Savior. Teach me O Lord to savor thy presence.

Ps 104:33-34
33 I will sing to the LORD as long as I live;
I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
34 May my meditation be sweet to Him;
I will be glad in the LORD.
NKJV

3 comments:

TnT dynamite family said...

Hey, I love what you said! You know what I was just thinking, and isn't kind of funny how you used to say that you never wanted to marry a pastor?? yet look at you now, married to a pastor and two gorgeous little girls, and another child on the way. I am so glad that you are one of my best friends/the best sister in the whole world! I wish you lived closer!! :( But the Lord has his plans for everyone.
Elizabeth Marie

Jenny said...

Hey, thanks, Tracy! What a great reminder to me this morning! Thank you for sharing what God is doing in your life through...instant mashed potatoes of all things! What an incredible God we have!!!

Kelli said...

What a great analogy; one we can all relate too! Thanks for sharing and that is a great reminder!