Saturday, December 01, 2007

What's For Dinner?

Alicia tagged me about a month ago to post my favorite dinner recipes. Here are my favorites which I can usually do with something that I have around the house.

One-Pan Taco Beef and Noodle Skillet
1 lb ground meat.
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 cups water
1 pkg mac n cheese
1/3 cup sour cream
1 large tomato chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup (or more) broken tortilla chips.

Brown meat in a large skillet and drain. Add seasoning mix, water and macaroni. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer until liquid is almost completely absorbed. stir in sour cream and cheese sauce mix until well blended and top with tomatoes, lettuce, and tortilla chips.

* To save money, I use ground turkey in this recipe.

BBQ Hamburger Sandwiches
1 lb lean ground meat
1 green pepper and onion finely chopped
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 pound cheese
4 hamburger buns

Brown the meat in a large skillet and drain. Add peppers and onions and cook for five minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce, water, and cheese. Cook until cheese is blended. Top hamburger buns and throw in some side dishes.

* To save money and eat healthier, I use ground turkey and whole wheat hamburger buns.

Mom's Coffee Cake
I love breakfast for dinner, and my mom's coffee cake is my all time favorite.
3 cups flour
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
2/3 c melted butter
2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Streusel Top
1 c brown sugar
4 tbsp butter softened
4 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 and grease 9 x13 pan. Mix butter, egg, sugar, milk and vanilla. Then add dried ingredients. Combine ingredients for streusel top in a separate bowl.

Pour half of the batter into the pan. Layer half of the streusel mixture over the batter, top with remaining batter followed by remaining streusel mix. Bake 25-30 minutes

*For a healthier meal I use 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour, 1 1/4 cups white flour, and 1/4 c milled flax seed. It tastes the same and the kids don't notice the flax seed (which adds some great fiber).

I like to cook some eggs for dinner with this coffee cake so that we are all satisfied (and I can have leftovers for breakfast).

Strawberry Salad
Dressing
1 c oil
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
pepper to taste
*shake all together in a jar or container

For the salad use
Lettuce (your preference although I like mixing the red leaf and romaine)
sliced strawberries
mozzerella cheese
crushed walnuts or sliced almonds (your preference or whatever is on hand)

*This is a yummy salad that everyone seems to like.

I won't tag anyone since I took so long to respond and this is a busy month, but I would love to see your family-friendly and easy recipes.

No comments: